Permitted development for Loft Conversions
From 1 October 2008 a loft conversion for your house May be considered to be permitted development, this means that you may not need to go through a rigorous full plans application but instead submit an application for a certificate of lawfulness which will confirm that a the design you would like to have built conforms to the requirements set out below.
Loft conversions requirements
• A volume allowance of 40 cubic metres for terraced houses
• A volume allowance of 50 cubic metres for detached and semi-detached houses.
• No extension beyond the plane of the existing roof slope of the principal elevation that fronts the highway.
• No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
• Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.
• No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
• Side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.
• Roof extensions not to be permitted development in designated areas*.
• Roof extensions, apart from hip to gable ones, to be set back, as far as practicable, at least 20cm from the eaves.
if you live in a flat or a property that is listed, in a conservation a area then full planning permission will be required. if in any doubt please contact your local council or give us a call. if you use our contact form we will always check the applications that you require by default contact us here
Along with this requirement you will also require Building regulations approval
building control services
We provide full building control services for your loft conversion that is required to demonstrate design and safety compliance More..
Our Typical Building control services
• Structural timber/steel calculations.
• Sap calculations
• Section details
• Material lists and costs
BUILDING REGULATIONS EXPLANATORY BOOKLET
This booklet provides an introduction to the Building Regulations in England and Wales and is intended for anyone proposing to carry out building projects. It is not a statement of the law but is intended to help you to understand the system.
© 2018 All rights reserved by - Sharpeplan®